Perl 5.005_04 for A/UX 3.1.1



I had some time on my hands so I set out to compile Perl 5.005_04 for my A/UX 3.1.1 computer, a Macintosh Quadra 700. After a fitful day I was able to get it to compile and install! Here are my release notes:

I am pleased to announce the availability of Perl 5.005_04 for A/UX 3.1.1:

http://homepage.mac.com/senorwences/perl5005_04.tar.gz

This directory contains a pre-compiled version of perl 5.005_04 for A/UX 3.1.1 as well as the source code from which the binaries were built.

Compilation Notes:

It was compiled on an A/UX 3.1.1 Macintosh Quadra 700 using gcc 2.7.2 and gmake 3.7.4.

I chose version 5.005_04 because it was close enough to Jim Jagielski's 5.004_01 that I could crib from his previous work. Additionally, it was a "new" enough version of perl that I could get cowsay to work on my A/UX box.

I used Jim Jagielski's config.sh from his compilation of perl 5.004_01 as my guide for configuring the proper variables to get perl 5.005_04 to compile. The config.sh I used is included in the directory.

Make test ran fine on the compilation, failing only three tests:

Failed 3 test scripts out of 190, 97.37% okay.

The installation went fine.

Installation Notes:

Download and uncompress the perl5005_04.tar.gz file:

gzip -dc perl5005_04.tar.gz | tar xvfmo -

To install use CommandShell to navigate to the perl5.005_04 directory and from within the directory type:

make install

The parts will be copied to the correct locations (/usr/local/bin/perl and the relevant man pages directories) on your A/UX box.

Verification of Installation:

This complilation of perl 5.005_04 has been tested on an A/UX 3.1.1 Mac. I was able to install and successfully run cowsay 3.03 on the A/UX box after installing perl 5.005_04.


In the image above you can see I have ssh'd into the A/UX box from my OS X MacBook, verified Perl is installed, then ran cowsay. I previously built binaries for ssh 1.2.32 that are hosted over at the Penelope A/UX server.

Comments

Jason Stevens said…
So here I am 7 years later trying to build Perl on A/UX 3.0.0 via the Shoebill emulator... And it looks like your binary is long gone.

But I'm going to try with your hint to borrow the config out of the jagbox's perl.

I'm hoping to run apache+perl.. maybe I'm just crazy.