My Facebook Friend Experiment



I've decided to start posting on the Facebook walls of friends who show up in the list, presented six at a time, on my profile page, shown above. I am visiting their profile pages, looking at recent posts and photos if available, and trying to leave a personalized greeting and welcoming to the summer on their wall.



The only obstacle to this grand social experiment is that with many friends, who may or may not be tuned into Facebook, how meaningful is the social connection that Facebook is supposed to foster to all its participants? I use Facebook daily, but many of the people I have friended do not. I conceived this summer experiment to see if reaching out to the people with whom I have reconnected through Facebook might be interested in fostering this reconnection. Facebook has put me back in touch with many people from junior high and high school, as well as college. By reaching out to those who participate peripherally can I build and enrich my social network?

Comments